How Many Carbs Can You Eat On Keto?
We are all aware that a keto diet is a low-carbohydrate diet. This diet consists of diet consumption and adequate protein, low carb, and higher fat. This is a healthy diet that is recommended by most doctors for weight loss. It has also been proven that the compositions can be used to treat hard-to-control epilepsy. It’s an effective medium. Although, it’s a low carb diet, you wouldn’t want to eat the lousy carb because you won’t see any changes. There are different kinds of carbs. There’s the excellent carb and the bad carb.
The good carbs include;
- Vegetables: various types of vegetables are to be eaten daily, as they carry plenty of essential nutrients and re healthy for weight loss
- Whole fruits: Fruits don’t carry only vitamins, minerals, and fibers. They are good sources of carbohydrates. Healthy carbohydrate. Fruits like apples, bananas, pineapples, berries, soursop, etc.
- Nuts: For your low carb diet, nuts are essential. They are high in fat and contain the right amount of protein, which is necessary, not too much, just a little bit. Pecans, almonds, peanuts, Macadamia nuts, walnuts, and many more should be included in your diet.
- Seeds: Seeds a good source of the right low carbs. Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, and so on.
- Whole grain: Be sure to have some wholegrain. Apart from being n aid in a generally healthy diet, it reduces the risk of several diseases. Whole grains like whole oats, brown rice, whole wheat, and quinoa are healthy.
- Tubers: potatoes and sweet potatoes are healthy. Beets and carrots to are excellent tubers too that can work wonders in your health.
Incorporating these into your daily diet and keto diet can make a real change as they are the right carbs, and they carry more nutrients than the bad carbs. However, people tend to eat bad carbs more often, probably because they feel very tasty and more delicious than the other natural good carbs. If the discipline of reducing the consumption of low carbs was there, you could go into a healthier life. This doesn’t mean you should erase it from your taste buds and minds. This means you reduce how often you consume it.
The bad carbs include drinks with high sugar content. Sugary beverages such as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, vitamin water have a high level of sugar content, and it is not advisable to help provide the body with nutrients responsible for a healthy keto diet. Consuming a lot of these bad carbs can lead to several diseases; diabetes especially. It’s quite unfortunate that fruit juices may have similar metabolic effects as sugar-sweetened beverages, especially the combination of high-sugar fruits. If this can’t be avoided strictly, it would be nice to reduce its consumption.
You can have it twice a month. The only exception is that it can still be taken in moderation for quite some people, while others on a strict keto diet plan might do well to avoid them. People on a primary keto diet can still have it once a week and at irregular week intervals.
Here are some examples of food with bad carbs;
- White bread: The main ingredient in white bread is refined carbohydrates that are low in essential nutrients and bad for metabolic health. This can be said about the commercially available bread, which is not healthy, especially for a keto diet.
- Pastries, cookies, and cakes: who can say no to a jar of chocolate chip cookies or diving into a whole chocolate cake? Sometimes, we have to forget pleasure and think about our health first. That should be the main priority. These are high in sugar, and refined wheat doesn’t help at all. This might be hard for a cake lover, so if you want to have a jar of cookies, try going for unrefined home-made corn flour and what, using honey as an alternative for sugar, but this should be low quantity. Although this reduces the risk of getting diseases, it doesn’t erase it, so you watch how much you consume it.
- Ice cream: There are some exceptions, but most ice creams are usually high in sugar, and you can barely find someone interested in digging into sugar-less ice cream, so ice cream should be avoided on a keto diet.
- Candies and Chocolate: This should be avoided, save for quality dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is delicious, but ‘quality’ dark chocolate is the ish. This is a healthy way to retain chocolate on the list.
- Fries and chips: French fries and potato chips, especially, is a no-no. Potatoes are better as a whole, but fries and chips? They’d have lost their nutrients and are high in carbohydrates after the soaking and frying.
The lists above have shown different carbohydrates, both the good ones and the bad ones mentioned earlier, that they can’t be avoided strictly. They can be taken once in a while. The average and healthy amount of carbs on a keto diet are 20-50 grams per day.
It would help if you consumed at least 20 grams of carbs, good carb, mostly daily. This reduces the risk of not consuming an unhealthy and unbalanced diet by eating the less required amount of carb. It also helps to maintain and regulate the amount of carbohydrate consumed in a day, so as not to eat extra. On a strict keto diet, less than 20 grams of carb per day is sufficient, but on a primary keto diet, 20-50 grams is advisable.
It would be best if you planned a time-table for the meals you eat each day to reduce calorie counting stress. A healthy glass of parfait with nuts is the right way to snack when on a keto diet. Fruits with little sugar, plain Greek yogurt, and nuts are a to-do meal for anyone on a diet, while Eggs, fish, milk are a good source of protein on a ketogenic diet. However, protein consumption shouldn’t be so high, and the protein quantities in the meals should be moderate. Although there are some fatty contents in these proteins, eggs especially contain less than a gram of carb, so they are an excellent example of foods to include in your meal plan when on a Keto diet.
What Can I Eat On A Keto Diet?
Let’s say because you’re on a KETO diet doesn’t mean you shouldn’t satisfy your taste buds and resist from eating delicious meals. Nope. You can still eat tasty foods, even on a Keto diet; you should only be sure about the content. You wouldn’t want to cross the keto-low-carb boarders by eating foods high in carbohydrates.
Here’s a list of things that can be included in your foods for your meal plan. They are taste buds friendly obeying Keto’s laws, which says; consumption of foods low in carbs, high in fat, and moderate n proteins.
- Low-carb vegetables: Vegetables are essential in our meal. A meal without vegetables is unhealthy. No matter what vegetable it is, they should always be eaten. All vegetables are healthy, but some have higher carbohydrate content than the others. On a keto diet, you should consider eating vegetables with low carbs like Iceberg lettuce, Zucchini, Spinach, and Asparagus, cauliflower, radishes, and more. You can try to incorporate this into a salad or work some food magic in your kitchen.
- Fruits: Getting enough fruits into your day can be quite uncomfortable, but it is undeniable that fruits are healthy and vital. They are rich in nutrients a well as are essential as they reduce the risk of several diseases. Fruits tend to have a higher amount of carbohydrates as they are high in sugar, but these sugars aren’t that bad if consumed appropriately. Fruits like watermelon, berries, cantaloupe, avocados, honeydew, peaches, and many more.
- Seafood: Fishes and shellfishes are keto-friendly. Most fishes are carb-free but rich in vitamins, salmon, potassium and selenium, Salmons, Mackerel, and sardines. However, as fishes are carb-free, some shellfishes contain carbs, but they can still be included on a ketogenic diet. Shrimps and crabs do not contain carb; others do but have low quantities of carbs, ranging from 3-7grams—shellfishes like clams, mussels, oysters, squid, and octopus. It would be best if you aimed at consuming two servings of seafood weekly.
- Cheese: Cheese is so nutritious and tasty. There are various-hundreds maybe- types of cheese, and all are low in carbs and high in fat, which makes it something you never want to miss out from your meal plan in a keto diet. As high as cheese is in saturated fat, it does not increase the risk of heart diseases; instead, it protects and shields it from infections. Cheese is a suitable replacement for crunchy and salty snack bites. All forms of cheese are keto-approved.
- Avocados: Avocados are made up of fiber and carbs. However, they contain 2 grams of carbs. The other component is fiber, and fibers are healthy and nutritious. Avocados are high in several vitamins and minerals, potassium especially. They are also high in heart-healthy fats. They make an excellent choice for meal planning on a keto diet.
- Unsweetened Coffee and Tea: Coffee and tea are good examples of healthy and nutritious carb-free drinks. Teas like white tea, green tea, black tea, and oolong tea are keto-friendly, and they are excellent beverages to have on a keto diet. However, they should be taken plain and unsweetened, except heavy cream; heavy cream in coffee is delicate. It would help if you avoided tea lattes because they are typically made with non-fat milk, high in carb.
The list above can guide you on what and what not should be eaten on a keto diet. If you are a fan of canned foods, when checking the nutritional fact content, you should avoid foods with net carbs as they mostly contain more sugar content but won’t be written down to attract more customers.
For a strict keto diet, eat foods in low-good-carbs, and watch how you’ll lose weight in a short period.